Rooted in Cheyenne was founded on the idea that our residents are an important part of helping to establish a greener city.
Rooted in Cheyenne’s mission is to re-establish a long-term tree planting program in our city to help support a more diverse and resilient urban canopy and cultivate greener, healthier, more livable neighborhoods.
Cheyenne has always been a progressive city in its efforts to increase the tree canopy. As early as 1882, residents played an important role in establishing the tree canopy that we enjoy today. However, Cheyenne is experiencing a high mortality rate in its street tree population as the result of an aging forest and past extreme weather events. In addition, citizens are not adequately replacing dead trees which results in large gaps in the tree canopy. The need for a community tree planting program in Cheyenne is critical to maintain our forest canopy where trees are likely to die or have died and extend our forest canopy where trees are less abundant. (Read more about our history here.)
Rooted in Cheyenne is a designated 501c(3) nonprofit which works in partnership with the Cheyenne Urban Forestry Division, and led by a volunteer Board of Directors, dedicated to improving Cheyenne’s urban forest.
In partnership with
Rooted in Cheyenne does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, or military status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable state or local law in any of its activities or operations. . These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection or removal of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
If you would like to benefit from our services, or get involved in making Cheyenne a greener city, please contact us.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
There are many benefits to incorporating a citywide tree planting program in Cheyenne. One of the greatest benefits will be helping to maintain and diversify our city’s century old tree canopy and helping our citizens realize its importance. Studies show us that programs like ours, when implemented and endorsed properly, can provide tangible growth in these key areas: economic, environmental, and community.
- Trees can reduce energy costs for homeowners
- Trees can reduce costs for road maintenance issues, such as pavement fatigue, cracking, rutting, and other distress
- City trees can increase property value for homeowners and sales for local business
- Trees help control stormwater runoff and erosion
- Trees reduce residual heat created from hard infrastructure
- Increased tree populations decrease carbon emissions and increase air, soil, and water quality
- Trees and green spaces help reduce crime and boost neighborhood connectivity
- Public health is improved by the creation of green spaces that attract people to exercise outside
- Natural landscapes abundant with trees help to reduce graffiti, vandalism, and littering in outdoor spaces
- Trees filter airborne pollutants and reduce the conditions that cause asthma and other respiratory problems.
- Neighborhood parks promote exercise, especially for people living within a mile or less of a park
- Children and youth living in greener neighborhoods tend to have a lower body mass index.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
We want all of the trees we plant to succeed! Not only will we deliver and plant your tree, but we’ll also be responsible for its maintenance and provide care services for the first 12 months.
After your application is approved, your permit is secured, and your trees are selected…
- We organize the planting dates, deliver your trees, dig the holes, and make it affordable.
- Our volunteers sign up, show up, and get to know the neighbors while making neighborhoods more beautiful!
- We water and care for your trees (including weeding, mulching, and health assessments) for the first 12 months after the initial planting date.
- We do not warranty trees. We do try to give your trees the best care in order to ensure survival.